Thursday 28 June 2012

Couch to 5k ... Week 5 and an update!

Time for an update on my "fitness" (try not to laugh too loudly) journey.  Well ... I have to say that I'm still on track (pun intended) and actually starting to enjoy it! I can't believe that that statement just came out of my mouth without causing me to want to be sick ... but it did.  Slowly but surely I'm starting to change my attitude towards "activity" and I do look forward to my next jog.


The other amazing thing about this, albeit short journey, is that I've inspired others already.  My sister and mother have started the journey (which believe me I am flabbergahsted at!). My mum - running - impossible.  If I hadn't seen it myself ... we actually crossed while out on separate runs, I would never have believed it!  My dad has just decided he will join them too - this just is not normal for an Italian immigrant family.  Mum should be cooking and dad watching t.v. while shouting at mum to change the channel, even though she isn't even in the same room!

And .. some of the ladies at our Slimming World group have also been encouraged by my antics and we have started a walking group.  A couple of us go for a 30 minute to 1 hour walk, 2 to 3 times a week.  I will work on them to see if we can work up to a tiny, weeny jog at some point ... little steps for now.  Wow, I digress so easily ....

.... So, at week 5 where am I?  Well ... my trainers are no longer looking new and there were 3 different jogs for this week to mix it up a bit:

My worn trainers!
  • Run 1: Brisk 5-minute walk, followed by 5-minute run, 3-minute walk, 5-minute run, 3-minute walk, 5 minute run.  Total of 15 minutes jogging.
  • Run 2: Brisk 5-minute walk, followed by 8-minute jog, 5-minute walk, 8-minute jog.  Total 16 minute jog.
  • Run 3: Brisk 5 minute walk, followed by 20-minute jog, no breaks! 





What? Whoa? Wait a minute ..... that's a massive jump! I'll never be able to do it.  I just about managed the other 2 runs!  This Laura is mad, 20-minute jog, it's only Week 5!  These are only some of the thoughts that went through my mind last night as I was trying to figure out how I could avoid doing the jog in the first place!

However, I have to say in all honesty that after the first 8-minutes it actually got easier, I relaxed and really enjoyed my run.  The feeling of elation that followed after Laura (my personal podcast coach, courtesy of the NHS Couch to 5 K program) congratulated me was amazing!  I very nearly "fist-pumped" and shouted Yea Hah! But then reminded myself that a) I might be seen, b) I live in Bury and c) I'm not American!

My Nonna ...
...ready for the Italy Euro 2012 season!
So ... the next best thing ... walk to my mum's (who lives 12 doors down, another story in itself!) and get Nonna to make me a good old-fashioned espresso to kick me back into life.

And there we have it folks ... I'm 5 weeks in on my 9 week journey to get jogging for 30 minutes and I'm already doing 20 mintues.  I can't beging to tell you how that feels ... even my neighbours (who are regular walkers/cyclists) are genuinely stunned.  In fact, yesterday, they saw me and said "You off for a walk?" to which I replied "Not at the moment, but I've already been for a run today" and their response was "We are really amazed, we had written you off i'm afraid at never wanting to do any walking, let alone jogging" to which I beamed!

Therefore ... I encourage anyone of  you who reads this to take the plunge.  Download the podcasts from here, find a spare 20 minutes when no-one is around and take that first step!  It really is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment